31 Jan 12 Fun Ways to Beat the Winter Blues
Is winter getting you down? It’s that time of year when some of us go a little stir crazy waiting for the warm weather to return.
Hang in there! Spring will be here before you know it. In the meantime, we’ve gathered some fun and simple ideas to keep you and the members of your household busy, healthy, and happy all winter long.
- Host a party! Whether it’s a few friends or the whole family, nothing lifts your spirits more than spending time with those you love. Check out these Winter Party Appetizers from Better Homes & Gardens.
- Schedule a family game night. It doesn’t matter if it’s a board game or an electronic game, the important thing is to have fun. Don’t forget the snacks!
- Start and complete a household project. Do you have some projects you’ve been wanting to finish, but just haven’t found the time? Get to work–you’ll be amazed at the satisfaction you feel when they are accomplished.
- Install new flooring in your home. This is a great way to add beauty and value to your home. Stop in to Carolina Carpet One and see their selection of carpet, hardwood, and laminate flooring.
- Get outside. Exercise and fresh air will help everyone in your household feel better. Go for a walk or play outside with your kids. And don’t forget to include your dog. Extra time outside is good for pets, too! Bundle up, then get out there and have fun! Just think about how much you’ll enjoy the hot cocoa waiting for you back inside.
- Watch a movie at home. Make popcorn or caramel corn and snuggle on the couch with some blankets. You’ll soon wonder why you had cabin fever in the first place.
- Curl up with a great book.
- Volunteer. One of the best ways to stop thinking about yourself is to start thinking about others. You’ll be amazed at the satisfaction this brings and how much it puts your life into perspective.
- Start a hobby. This is a great time of year to learn something new.
- Take your family to an indoor athletic facility. Play, exercise, and swim together to release some of that pent-up energy.
- Get organized. It’s a new year and a new beginning. Don’t try to tackle the whole house all at once. Choose one cabinet, desk, or closet at a time. You will stay busy and your home will be organized.
- Learn how to cook. We all enjoy great food, and few things are more satisfying than enjoying a delicious meal with your family. Enlist the help of others in the house and make it a family event. Preparing a meal together can be a lot of fun.