26 Jun 7 Inexpensive Ways to Get Your Deck and Patio Ready For Summer Entertaining
Do you love spending leisure time on your deck or patio during the Summer months?
It’s easy to see why. Your deck/patio is the perfect gathering place for summer barbecues and parties with family and friends. It’s also a quiet place to have breakfast and the perfect retreat at the end of a busy day.
Since it’s an extension of your living space, your deck/patio needs to be cared for like any other part of your home.
Want to transform your deck or patio into an efficient, cozy, and inviting space? Here are some easy ways to make this outdoor space both beautiful and functional.
1. Clean it. Who wants to spend time on a dirty deck or patio? Sweep all flat surfaces to remove dirt, leaves, and bird droppings. Wash all surfaces with a bucket of dish soap, warm water, and a long-handled scrub brush. Don’t forget to clean your patio furniture as well.
2. Protect it. Sun and rain are the biggest enemies of a wooden deck. Protect wood surfaces by staining and sealing them. Stone flooring surfaces are a great alternative to wood and require only minimal maintenance. See How to Clean & Restore Natural Stone Patios.
3. Remove clutter. Seeing clutter is stressful–the opposite of how you want to feel when you are on your deck or patio. Toys, lawn/garden tools, and other miscellaneous items don’t belong on your deck. Gather up these items and put them in your garage or storage shed. Reserve this special outdoor space for items that are necessary for relaxing and entertaining.
4. Keep it functional and fun. Make your deck work for you. Keep a table by the grill for necessary cooking items. Stock a cooler with iced beverages. Keep a trash container handy. Have plenty of table space for snacks and drinks. Provide plenty of comfortable seating for family and friends. If your deck/patio does not have a roof, create shade with large umbrellas or a pergola. Check out these Must-Have Patio Features from HGTV.
5. Use colors and textures to make your space exciting and inviting. Now it’s time to add the final touches to your outdoor living space with potted plants, colorful rugs, blankets, and pillows. Summer is all about fun, so create some with colorful stripes, polka dots, and geometric designs. Make every meal on your deck a festive occasion with brightly colored tablecloths, serving bowls, plates, and cups. Fire pits and water fountains also add character and charm.
7. Light up the night. Do you spend a lot of time on your deck after the sun goes down? String lights, rope lights, and lanterns will add functional light and cozy ambience. For more information, read Choose the Best Patio Lighting.