30 Oct Halloween Safety Tips, Recipes, and Decorating Ideas
Halloween is an exciting day that many children (and adults) look forward to all year long. Keep your little ghosts and goblins safe this Halloween with these important tips from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.
Happy Halloween from Carolina Carpet One.
Have fun and be safe!
- Children should travel in groups of 3 or more.
- Make sure that an adult or an older responsible youth will be supervising the outing for children under age 12.
- Plan and discuss the route trick-or-treaters intend to follow. Know the names of older children’s companions. Set a time limit.
- Instruct your children to travel only in familiar areas and along an established route.
- Teach your children to stop only at houses or apartment buildings that are well-lit. Accept treats only in the doorway. NEVER enter a stranger’s home.
- Children should not eat treats until parents have checked them.
- Do not ride a bicycle-your costume could get tangled in it.
- Carry a flashlight.
- Walk on the sidewalk. If no sidewalk is available, walk on the left side of the road facing traffic.
- Cross busy streets at an intersection or cross walk. Be sure to look both ways (2 times) before crossing the street.
- Walk, don’t run.
- If you wear a mask, be sure you can see out of it clearly. Remove mask when walking from house to house.
- Wear reflective tape on your clothing/costume.
- Be very cautious of STRANGERS.
- NEVER eat unwrapped candy, opened candy, or fruit given to you on Halloween.
- Pin a slip of paper with your child’s name, address, and phone number inside a pocket in case the child gets separated from the group.
- Welcome trick-or-treaters with your porch/exterior lights on.
- Patrol your street occasionally to discourage speeding motorists, acts of malicious mischief, and crimes against children.
- Report any suspicious or criminal activity to your police department immediately (dial 9-1-1).
- Candlelit jack-o-lanterns should be kept clear of doorsteps and landings.
- Consider using flashlights instead of candles to light jack-o-lanterns.
- Keep pets away from doors so children will not become frightened.
Make Halloween special in your home with these fun decorating ideas:
- Spooky Halloween Ideas for 2015
- Our 55 Favorite Halloween Decorating Ideas
- 11 Enchanting Halloween Decorating Ideas
- Indoor Halloween Decor
And amaze your friends and family with these delicious and creative recipes: