28 Oct Halloween Safety Tips
Posted at 21:06h in Helpful Info
Happy Halloween from Carolina Carpet One! Have fun and be safe!
Follow these important safety tips from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.
- Children should travel in groups of 3 or more.
- Make sure that an adult or an older responsible youth will be supervising the outing for children under age 12.
- Plan and discuss the route trick-or-treaters intend to follow. Know the names of older children’s companions. Set a time limit.
- Instruct your children to travel only in familiar areas and along an established route.
- Teach your children to stop only at houses or apartment buildings that are well-lit. Accept treats only in the doorway. NEVER enter a stranger’s home.
- Children should not eat treats until parents have checked them.
- Do not ride a bicycle-your costume could get tangled in it.
- Carry a flashlight.
- Walk on the sidewalk. If no sidewalk is available, walk on the left side of the road facing traffic.
- Cross busy streets at an intersection or cross walk. Be sure to look both ways (2 times) before crossing the street.
- Walk, don’t run.
- If you wear a mask, be sure you can see out of it clearly. Remove mask when walking from house to house.
- Wear reflective tape on your clothing/costume.
- Be very cautious of STRANGERS.
- NEVER eat unwrapped candy, opened candy, or fruit given to you on Halloween.
- Pin a slip of paper with your child’s name, address, and phone number inside a pocket in case the child gets separated from the group.
- Welcome trick-or-treaters with your porch/exterior lights on.
- Patrol your street occasionally to discourage speeding motorists, acts of malicious mischief, and crimes against children.
- Report any suspicious or criminal activity to your police department immediately (dial 9-1-1).
- Candlelit jack-o-lanterns should be kept clear of doorsteps and landings.
- Consider using flashlights instead of candles to light jack-o-lanterns.
- Keep pets away from doors so children will not become frightened.